10 step guide to learn Digital Marketing
Digital Marketing is still quite a buzzword and in my opinion still at a nascent stage. Opportunities are immense and I am really excited to be a part of this
Teenagers excited with Digital Marketing opportunities, I recommend you must do these unless you want to end up doing internship where you will be asked to do all the donkeys jobs nothing related to marketing of-course and if you get lucky to actually do some related work, you will fail to connect the dots and might start hating this full of fun and interesting field . (ADULTS- there’s something for you at the end but I would recommend you to not take the obvious step and jump to end but read through these steps and knowing you I know how quickly you will scan through these points to read what’s in store for you the end).
Now different experts might have different opinions about how to get into Digital but this is my personal opinion based on some marketing experience (since 2006), Digital ( since 2009), Corporate Workshops, Professional Training (100+ professionals from different industries), Colleges ( read my post on The Academia and Industry Gap is widening in Marketing ) interviewing job applicants, Dealing with interns at office
1) Create your own asset, it could be a simple plain vanilla website / a basic app (many easy to use tools available for a simple app) on your own. Let this be your lab like I have this experiment site http://mascotcreation.in/ where I do my SEO experiments and off late I have started getting some consistent traffic also from Mascot to this site.
2) Market it. You obviosuly need to work on your product (site) and your consumers
Product and Customer
- Your Customer : Understand who your customer segment is, what are their needs, their habits etc. What is the problem they have?
- Your product : How does your product help your customer?
Where are my customers on the Internet and How do I pitch/reach them?
3) Document your journey through a blog (this can be your website ) every damn thing you are doing/trying date wise (this can be step 1 too). Make conclusions.
4) Figure out what’s working and what’s not (do not forget step 3). Keep optimising
5) Build on metrics slowly, to start with it can be just pageviews but keep adding
6) Read A LOT and deploy what’s possible like schemas, AMP and stuff on social media. Right after you read something usefuf- try it. Test it.
7) Do not hesitate to experiment, it pays to contradict in some cases.
8) Think of monetising and earn some $$$, Learn & Earn is probably the best way.
9) Build a process, a system you can fall back to for saving your time. Pick up some good excel skills in the process. very handy for SEO and PPC. Make your own content calendar templates. Automation techniques etc
10) Stay updated ( Useful Resources and Guides for Marketers & Digital Marketing Ebooks and Guides to Download). You can also join my small Digital Marketing group on FB to stay updated with news/tips/tricks/jobs
If you need help with any of these feel free to write to me at ak @ websitename or connect @Amarkrishnajha ( all SM channels) and I will revert maybe not immediately but asap.
Adults you can continue with your lazy routine and help these kids understand Marketing & offer insights because most of you can’t do the first thing. Seriously there’s no magic button to push unfortunately, The only way out is conceive, launch, test, tweak, test, tweak, etc. and this is a continuous cycle so a lot of behind the scene hard work early on. On a serious note if you are willing to go through all the 10 steps you stand a far better chance to create magic in Digital given your experience & willingness to experiment.
Mention the challenges you are facing or some good resource you came across to master digital in comments.
Join my small Digital Marketing group on FB to stay updated with news/tips/tricks/jobs
Believe in GoD(Going Digital)